Why Shang Chi is the worst Marvel Film
As far as I’m concerned, the film is a dud. ALsmost no real excitement is generated from it’s bizarre time-crossing scenario. It’s been said that Marvel has a problem with featuring Asian characters, but this film fails to do for Asians what Black Panther did for black people.
Here are the reasons why I hated this movie:
- Slow start. What was the point of the half hour spent showing us how boring the main character’s life is?
- Awkwafina. What was she doing in the movie? She doesn’t provide anything to add to the story, neither does she perform any kung fu.
- Script. I was groaning most of the time from the leaden and clunky dialogue.
- where’s the kung fu? Apart from the bus sequence, where Shang uses a metal pole to take out some villains, he simply stands around the whole time.
- the CGI made most scenes look totally unbelievable.
- There’s no romance whatsoever. Compare to a film about martial arts which was full of action, spectacle and love – Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
- Simu Liu – totally unsuited to the part. Why not cast a Chinese born actor who can convincingly speak Mandarin?
- The music – thumping bass heavy chords just got louder during supposedly exciting scenes.
- The film’s obvious pandering to Chinese audiences mean that the villain isn’t able to be seen as showing Chinese people in a bad light, so it means he comes across totally non-threateningly, and bland.